I like to think of myself as a constant student, ready with paper and pen and sitting at the front of the class.
When I first started in public relations and marketing close to eight years ago, I thought I knew everything there was to know. Then again, I was an arrogant 22-year-old fresh out of college with a lot to learn.
Nowadays, I like to think of myself as someone who is quite knowledgeable about the industry, but is equally interested in learning from her peers.
When you work in a field as ever-changing as PR, you have to stay on top of trends or get left in the dirt. You have to become the perfect sponge.
Gone are the days of sending out an email to the media and waiting for a response. The press release has moved to the bottom of the totem poll as new media has pushed its way into the limelight. As PR professionals we have to stay ahead of the learning curve– become perfect sponges– and meet the challenges of our changing world.
The best way to keep learning is by investing your time hearing from the experts.
How do I stay ahead of the trends?
I attend between two and ten webinars a month. Then I head to networking events and speak to people in my community. If my schedule permits, I attend a conference or two. With every webinar, networking event, or conference, I come away with a renewed sense of pride.
Being a student is a wonderful thing.
Join me by attending any or all of these FREE Upcoming Webinars:
11 Steps to Launching a Successful Social Media Campaign April 18, 2013 (1:00 to 2:30 p.m. EST)
- What you’ll learn: understanding how much time social media requires, how to track return on investment (ROI), and how to craft a social media policy.
7 Secrets to Getting More Quality Links April 22, 2013 (12:00 to 1:00 p.m. EST)
- What you’ll learn: What are backlinks? How to find free media opportunities every day. Why social media means no more ‘cold calling’ on link prospects.
Search Engine Optimization 101 for Nonprofits April 23, 2013 (3:00 to 4:00 p.m. EST)
- What you’ll learn: What is SEO and what does it mean for your organization? Keywords, optimization and how to stay on Google’s good side.
Diffuse Digital Drama April 24, 2013 (2:00 to 3:00 p.m. EST)
- What you’ll learn: Unhappy customers, competitors, disgruntled employees are a pain. Learn how to deal with them digitally. Recognize your hater types and calm them accordingly; conquer conflict with professionalism; and boost your reputation.
7 Google+ Tips that Brands and Marketers Need to Succeed April 30, 2013 (1:00 to 1:30 p.m. EST)
- What you’ll learn:Tactical tips from over a dozen of the world’s best brands that are successfully navigating Google+. The best way you can post on G+ while linking back to your site to increase SEO. And a few cool tricks that help you directly connect with influencers on G+.